Rudimental, Daft Punk and Latitude also win at the 10th annual ceremony
Download Festival took the gong for Best Major Festival on Monday 2nd December, beating the likes of Glastonbury, Reading & Leeds and V Festival at the UK Festival Awards that took place at London’s Roundhouse.
Download Festival took the gong for Best Major Festival on Monday 2nd December, beating the likes of Glastonbury, Reading & Leeds and V Festival at the UK Festival Awards that took place at London’s Roundhouse. From winning Best Line-up at last year’s awards, Download has brought rock and heavy metal music to the masses. Sheffield’s finest, Arctic Monkeys won this year’s Best Headline Performance for their mind-blowing headline set at Glastonbury. Seeing off competition from heavyweights, The Rolling Stones, Elton John and Foals, the quartet is finishing the year on a high.
The title of Best New Festival was snapped up by electronic party We are FSTVL. Established only this year at Damyn’s Hall Aerodrome in Essex, We are FSTVL played host to the world’s leading stars of dance music, much to the delight of electronic music fans. Feeling the love from the voting public, Rudimental beat fellow Mercury Music Prize nominees, Disclosure, in the Breakthrough Act of The Year category. Elsewhere, French duo Daft Punk got lucky taking the title of Anthem of The Summer for their catchy hit “Get Lucky” featuring Chic’s Nile Rogers who accepted the award via video message.
After much deliberation from renowned UK music journalists, the winner of Best Line-up this year went to Latitude, a festival which continues to gather the finest acts in music and the arts to date. As previously announced, the recipient of the Outstanding Achievement award went to Fiona Stewart of Green Man Festival for her contribution to the festival industry.
James Drury, Managing Director of UK Festival Awards commented: “In this, our 10th year, we had the most fiercely-fought competition for the awards. There were so many incredible festivals taking place this year that it’s not surprising that 575,000 votes were cast by fans from across the world.
“Congratulations to all those which made it into the finalists – it’s no mean feat to make it into the top 10, considering over 340 festivals entered this year.”
More this year’s festivals came out to celebrate 2013’s season with Kendal Calling, Creamfields, Camp Bestival, Bearded Theory and Barclaycard presents British Summer Time also taking home awards.
A full list of 2013 Award Winners
- BEST MAJOR FESTIVAL Download
- BEST MEDIUM-SIZED FESTIVAL Kendal Calling
- BEST SMALL FESTIVAL Bearded Theory
- BEST NEW FESTIVAL We Are FSTVL
- BEST DANCE EVENT Creamfields
- BEST METROPOLITAN FESTIVAL Dot To Dot
- BEST FAMILY FESTIVAL Camp Bestival
- BEST GRASSROOTS EVENT 2000trees Festival
- BEST TOILETS ArcTanGent
- BEST OVERSEAS FESTIVAL Snowbombing (Austria)
- HEADLINE PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR Arctic Monkeys - Glastonbury
- ANTHEM OF THE SUMMER Get Lucky - Daft Punk
- BREAKTHROUGH ACT OF THE YEAR Rudimental
- BEST LINE-UP Latitude
- CONCESSION OF THE YEAR Strumpets with Crumpets
- THE GREENER FESTIVAL AWARD Shambala Festival
- BEST BRAND ACTIVATION Virgin Media
- THE EXTRA-FESTIVAL ACTIVITY AWARD Wilderness
- PROMOTER OF THE YEAR Paddy Glasgow (Glasgowbury)
- BEST USE OF NEW TECHNOLOGY Barclaycard Presents British Summer Time (in Hyde Park) Intelligent Venue Solutions
- THE OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AWARD Fiona Stewart, Green Man Festival