REQ ID: 114927
JOB TITLE: Engineering Labs Test Engineer
SALARY: £35800 - £47400
POSTING END DATE: 05 June 2023
An ever-evolving heritage. A truly exciting future. Two of the world’s most iconic brands. Jaguar Land Rover is revered across the globe. Continually pushing the boundaries of innovation and redefining the benchmark for excellence, we set the standards others want to follow. We want to keep it that way too. Which is where you join the journey.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
This is where it all begins. We develop the new concepts that go on to become new Jaguars and Land Rovers. So, the emphasis is on building strong strategic, technical and financial foundations right from the start.
We currently have multiple shift-based roles available supporting the operation of test facilities across the engineering laboratories department. This is a department where continuous improvement is part of every-day life; your ideas can come to life in supporting new customer tests, with involvement in every step of the testing and development process, directly influencing the delivery of the world’s most desirable vehicles such as Range Rover and Defender.
You would be involved in running state-of-the-art mechanical and electrical test rigs with roles supporting single component testing, all the way to whole vehicle durability. It’s an exciting opportunity to be part of the team who run the facility, working in collaboration with our Technology Development team to support the installation and commissioning of new test rigs.
In this role you will support the lead engineer to ensure that physical testing is completed on time, to quality, with the necessary escalation and reporting responsibilities.
Do you strive to get to the root cause of problems? Are you after a role where every day can be different? We might just have the right position for you.
Experience with testing hydraulics, pneumatics, batteries, or component to whole vehicle durability would be beneficial, as would experience of data analysis and interpretation, but a desire to learn is essential.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Directly support Lead Engineer in preparing test specimens, carrying out testing, de-prep after test and report out of results.
- Provide support for day-to-day operational requirements of the test facility.
- Ensure test facilities are maintained to high standards through conducting maintenance activities alongside application of appropriate quality tools including TPM schedules and 5S.
- Support resolution of issues and the reporting of relevant information and findings.
- Support installation and commissioning of new test rigs in conjunction with Technology Development facility installation team.
- A good understanding of test rig methodology and test requirements. Provide support for test method development.
- Able to collate, manipulate and interpret data supporting its use for informed engineering decisions.
- Drive continuous improvement activity with the goal of improving test efficiency and/or product quality.
- Ensure effective performance & skill management for team of direct reports.
- Undertake any other work as directed by their line manager in connection with their job as requested.
- Contribute to a Zero Harm culture through rigorous use of H&S tools including safety audits, audit preparation tools, 8D accident investigation processes, concern and countermeasure action reporting and effective risk management.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Evidence based understanding of Design Verification and Testing Process.
- Good communication skills with a collaborative approach to customers.
- An understanding of physical test laboratory operation.
- An understanding of laboratory equipment maintenance and calibration related activity.
- A knowledge of employing data acquisition and analysis techniques.
- An understanding of Health and Safety requirements.
- Computer literate in relevant business software and Microsoft applications.
- Good report writing skills.
- Experience supporting or operating test facilities, utilising test and evaluation techniques.
- Experience of product development processes and milestone driven delivery.
- Evidence of applying lean or quality techniques.
- Knowledge of BMS programming/scripting languages.
- Knowledge of lean/quality strategies.
- An independent individual with the ability to self-organise and prioritise workload.
- A good communicator who can effectively communicate complex ideas.
- A team player who supports other team members.
- Highly motivated to work on new initiatives and to support with the creation/development of new standards and processes.
- An individual with a customer first mindset who is easy to do business with and makes people feel special. They are driven to deliver experiences that are personalised, transparent and dependable.
- Background in structural/electrical engineering, mechatronics or a related electrical profession.
SO WHY US?
Bring all this to the home of premium innovation, and you’ll find the opportunities to further your career with a world-class team, a discounted car purchase and lease scheme for you and your family, membership of a competitive pension plan and performance related bonus scheme. All this and more makes Jaguar Land Rover the perfect place to continue your journey.
Please be aware that we may close this vacancy for applications before the stated deadline if we receive a high volume of interest. We strongly advise you to submit your application as early as possible.
Jaguar Land Rover is committed to equal opportunity for all.