REQ ID: 118264
JOB TITLE: Materials Lab Technician
SALARY: £44,411 + Shift Allowance
POSTING END DATE: 20/10/2023
LOCATION: Wolverhampton EMC
An ever-evolving heritage. A truly exciting future. Two of the world’s most iconic brands. JLR is revered across the globe. Continually pushing the boundaries of innovation and redefining the benchmark for excellence, we set the standards others want to follow. We want to keep it that way too. Which is where you join the journey.
WHAT TO EXPECT
JLR is currently seeking a Materials Lab Technician to provide Technical Support to the EPMC, related to the production of EDU's and Batteries.
The main activities will be carrying out metallurgical, chemical and radiographic analysis on EDU, battery, frame extrusions and transmission materials, to confirm drawing specifications are met; as well as performing cleanliness testing, and analysing contaminants from this and other test points in the EPMC.
As the EPMC matures, the role may also carry out scheduled spot-audit testing on supplied pats. On completion of testing, the Role will complete test reports as required and feedback results to customers, escalating issues as necessary, and interrogating SPC data to identify trends.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
• Use metallurgical prep and test equipment to assess any component according to standard test processes, as required by Engineering specification or drawing; or to support diagnosis of a failure or non-conformance
• Carry out routine Quality Control testing for EDU, Battery and Frame Assembly
• Perform radiographic analysis of components
• Write test reports and communicate clearly with customers throughout the business
• Routinely review data and maintain statistical reports, to understand capability and ensure variance is understood and controlled
• Compliance to Health and Safety procedures by ensuring all safety metrics are achieved, including identifying safety hazards and risks and supporting implementation of corrective action
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Previous experience incorporating knowledge and practical operation of materials testing equipment (hardness, tensile, composition, cleanliness, FTIR, OES. Etc).
• Metallurgical knowledge of steel and aluminium, including heat treatment, and experience in applying this know-how. Able to interpret Engineering drawings and Specifications. Can interpret Metallic microstructures.
• Working knowledge of Laboratory safety practices, able to act on potential concerns
• Use of investigative techniques (Quality tools) to identify and solve problems
• Computer skills – experienced using Excel, Word and PowerPoint, as well as SPC software such as Minitab, including for data manipulation and interrogation.
• Relevant indentured or advanced modern apprenticeship required.
SO WHY US?
Bring all this to the home of premium innovation, and you’ll find the opportunities to further your career with a world-class team, a discounted car purchase and lease scheme for you and your family and membership of a competitive pension plan. All this and more makes JLR the perfect place to continue your journey.
JLR is committed to equal opportunity for all.