REQ ID: 113166
JOB TITLE: Principal Software Engineer JAVA /Python
LOCATION: Manchester - Hybrid
Jaguar Land Rover is harnessing technology to make driving smarter, safer and cleaner. You can help create a world in which responsible, sustainable vehicles revolutionise the driving experience for generations. Our vision is to leverage the incredible potential of technology to build vehicles that not only offer a premium, all-encompassing digital experience, but that also make our customers lives better.
Manchester Global Digital Development Centre
We’re reinventing what tomorrow looks like at Jaguar Land Rover. There’s a revolution underway in our industry – and we’re leading it. We’ve always been innovators. But our future will be driven by the possibilities created by new technologies as never before.
Today we are the largest investor in automotive research and development in the UK. Which means we want even more passionate minds that can think beyond, pushing the boundaries of what our industry deems possible.
Jaguar Land Rover has long pushed the boundaries of technology. Now digital innovation lies at the heart of our business – because it is central to our future strategy. We are focused on the development of electric, connected and driverless cars that will reshape the whole industry. Joining us is your chance to help redefine who we are and where we’re going. Your talents in software development and DevSecOps could take your career in many directions. Get ready to dream for tomorrow.
A Principal Software Engineer with a passion for quality, and proven experience of software engineering and architecture, is required to help build our new connected car platform. Our Vehicle Connected and Data Platform will connect to all JLR vehicles globally and be responsible for enabling all our data use cases and shift to a green and sharing economy vision of modern luxury services.
We are looking for great engineers who have a passion for innovative problem-solving quality-first coding and DevSecOps practices.
- Would you thrive in an exciting, dynamic and creative start-up environment, but also enjoy the security, resources and influence of an established and successful organisation?
- Would you excel within a world-class and passionate team that loves what they do?
- Are you passionate about mentoring and sharing your skills with fellow engineers?
You will initially be working on support work for our autonomous driving initiative, solving problems of how to handle the vast amount of data required to enable this exciting technology area.
As Principal Software Engineer, you will be responsible for solution architecture, systems integration design, definition and ownership of engineering standards, technical leadership, and technical hands-on support to software engineers, as well as advocating and providing technical leadership for DevSecOps practices in the lab.
You will form part of a collaborative, iterative and agile process in a multi-disciplined team helping deliver best in class digital solutions. This role provides a unique opportunity to help support and grow an entirely new software engineering and DevSecOps capability within Jaguar Land Rover.
This role will involve working particularly closely with the Principal Site Reliability Engineer to ensure applications built in the lab are cloud-native, conform to 12 Factor principles and are in line with platform capacity and resilience requirements. The two of you will also work together to own incident management processes and support of live apps.
Reporting directly to the Head of Software Development, and with line management and mentoring responsibilities for other engineers, you will consistently deliver to challenging business objectives, with a focus on testability, robustness, and performance for exciting new projects.
- Lead the architecture and integration for complex solutions, strong hands-on software engineering experience across full SDLC and strong microservice experience.
- Effective cross-functional leadership skills, working with engineering and operations teams to ensure systems are secure, scalable, and reliable.
- Strong advocate for continuous delivery and DevSecOps practices
- Improve and establish DevSecOps practices including CICD pipeline.
- Ensure the design and implementation of architectures satisfies customer needs and is aligned with wider JLR application strategies and technical requirements.
- Ensure the developed systems adherence to all required internal and external standards.
- Define technical roadmap and strategy for systems, and delivery against these roadmaps.
- Technical hands-on support to Software Engineers and SEITs in all areas of application build, test and deployment.
- Responsible for coaching and mentoring a team of senior engineers.
- Line management responsibility for a team of senior engineers
- Strong experience developing bespoke built enterprise scale applications in a cloud environment.
- Extensive experience in developing code with Java (or other JVM languages)
- Experience managing a team of engineers.
- Strong experience developing in Python.
- Experienced advocate for practices such as TDD
- Experience with Microservices architectures, RESTful APIs and message queues
- Strong Object-Oriented programming skills
- Cloud native development experience especially on AWS (lambdas, S3, api gateway etc)
- Experience with source code management and version control (Git/GitHub/GitLab)
- Experience with modern CI/CD tools and techniques
- Experience with Kubernetes & Docker
- Understanding and experience of Site Reliability Engineering practices and principles
- Previous involvement in all stages of the software delivery lifecycle
- Passion for mentoring and technical coaching of engineers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
This role is based in Jaguar Land Rover’s brand new hi-tech Global Digital Development Centre in the heart of Manchester, where you will be working alongside the best engineers in the world.
If you are an existing Jaguar Land Rover employee at the same grade as this position, please be aware that no pay increases are applied to lateral moves. For promotions, the salary offer will depend on a variety of factors including the size of and skills required for the role, the external market value of the role and your individual knowledge and experience.
Please note that if you elect to apply for a role in another country and are successful you would need to be hired as an external candidate on local terms and conditions rather than transferring on your existing terms.
JLR considers that this role meets the criteria to be considered for a Skilled Worker Visa. Therefore, JLR will support an application for visa sponsorship.
Please be aware that we may close this vacancy for applications before the stated deadline if we receive a high volume of interest. We strongly advise you to submit your application as early as possible.
Jaguar Land Rover is committed to equal opportunity for all.