REQ ID: 113170
JOB TITLE: Senior Software Engineer - JAVA / Python
LOCATION: Manchester - Hybrid Working
Jaguar Land Rover is harnessing technology to make driving smarter, safer and cleaner. You can help create a world in which responsible, sustainable vehicles revolutionise the driving experience for generations. Our vision is to leverage the incredible potential of technology to build vehicles that not only offer a premium, all-encompassing digital experience, but that also make our customers lives better.
Jaguar Land Rover are currently looking for a Senior Software Engineer with experience in Java and Python to join their Global Digital Development Centre based in Manchester. The right candidate will have a passion for quality, and proven experience of full stack software development and design. We are looking for great engineers who have a passion for innovative problem solving, quality-first coding and practicing Continuous Integration.
What to expect
You will initially be working on support work for our autonomous driving initiative, solving problems of how to handle the vast amount of data required to enable this exciting technology area.
You will form part of a collaborative, iterative and agile process in a multi-disciplined team helping deliver best in class digital solutions. This role provides a unique opportunity to help support and grow an entirely new software development capability within Jaguar Land Rover.
Reporting to a Principal Software Engineer and working closely with other multi-disciplined engineers, you will be a valued member of the Global Digital Development Centre team, consistently delivering to challenging business objectives, with a focus on testability, robustness, and performance for exciting new projects. You will work on real projects alongside experienced engineers and will be expected to take on some mentoring and coaching of less experienced engineers in the lab.
- Software design and code development to internal standards and practises
- Guide and lead the development of parts of the software system
- Contribute to CICD and DevOps practises
- Support all agile development ceremonies
- Coach and mentor junior developers
- Lead on Issue investigation and resolution
- Define and implement technical roadmaps for key areas of focus in the code base
- Implementation of all applicable testing for software
- Lead / Implement code reviews where appropriate
What you will need
- Strong experience with Java, Spring Boot,
- Experience of serverless / AWS cloud native development
- Strong experience with Python
- Experience with AWS ideally including Infrastructure as code (CDK in Java & Terraform)
- Experience with container frameworks, Docker / Kubernetes
- 5+ years’ experience developing bespoke built enterprise scale cloud-native applications
- Strong experience with database technologies such as NoSQL i.e., Mongo DB or similar
- Strong experience with API development and technologies
- Experienced advocate for practices such as Test-Driven Development
- Bash or other script languages.
- Experience with Microservices architectures, RESTful APIs and message queues
- Strong Object-Oriented programming skills
- Experience with source code management and version control (Git/GitHub/GitLab)
- Experience with modern CI/CD tools and techniques
- Previous involvement in all stages of the software delivery lifecycle
- Passion for mentoring and technical coaching of developers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Additional nice to have skills:
- Experience with observability and monitoring tools such as Datadog
- Familiarity with polyglot, SQL, and NoSQL
- React or other front-end experience.
- Familiarity with Kafka, MongoDB, DynamoDB, HiveMQ, Kinesis, Apache Flink
About the Manchester Global Digital Development Centre
We’re reinventing what tomorrow looks like at Jaguar Land Rover. There’s a revolution underway in our industry – and we’re leading it. We’ve always been innovators. But our future will be driven by the possibilities created by new technologies as never before.
Today we are the largest investor in automotive research and development in the UK. Which means we want even more passionate minds that can think beyond, pushing the boundaries of what our industry deems possible.
Jaguar Land Rover has long pushed the boundaries of technology. Now digital innovation lies at the heart of our business – because it is central to our future strategy. We are focused on the development of electric, connected and driverless cars that will reshape the whole industry. Joining us is your chance to help redefine who we are and where we’re going. Your talents in software development and DevOps could take your career in many directions. Get ready to dream for tomorrow.
This role is based in Jaguar Land Rover’s brand new hi-tech Global Digital Development Centre in the heart of Manchester, where you will be working alongside the best engineers in the world.
SO WHY US?
Bring all this to the home of premium innovation, and you’ll find the opportunities to further your career with a world-class team, a discounted car purchase and lease scheme for you and your family, membership of a competitive pension plan and performance related bonus scheme. All this and more makes Jaguar Land Rover the perfect place to continue your journey.
This role may offer the opportunity for hybrid working where you can split your time between working from home and in the office. At Jaguar Land Rover, hybrid working is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement providing employees with more choice and flexibility around how, when and where they work, if suitable for their role. Further details can be discussed with the Hiring Manager at interview stage.
Please be aware that we may close this vacancy for applications before the stated deadline if we receive a high volume of interest. We strongly advise you to submit your application as early as possible.
Jaguar Land Rover is committed to equal opportunity for all.