REQ ID: 113249
JOB TITLE: Studio Engineering Manager
We’re re-examining our vehicles and what a vehicle means in the emerging world of automation, connectedness, electrification and the shared economy. New ideas, new technology, and new approaches to mobility are our business. Join a team of next generation thinkers.
WHAT TO EXPECT
An exciting opportunity to join our Design Team in the biggest Automotive Design studio in the UK as a Studio Engineering Manager.
You must be capable of creating engineering solutions that challenge convention to enable world leading design.
Capable of managing full scale programmes, leading and developing a team of engineers, to deliver success at both a technical and professional development level.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Typically manage, but not limited to, the studio engineering activities for an full scale interior/exterior programme for a single carline car-line
- Work closely with the Product Engineering and Centres of Competence (CoCs) teams to ensure input to the development of the design aesthetic is interrogated
- Manage the generation and development of feasible engineering schemes in Computer Assisted Design (CAD) to deliver aesthetic designs
- Generation of creative alternatives where necessary in order to meet the Design Intent which challenge assumptions, propose alternative attribute balances and are capable of delivering high quality results
- Using local and Product Creation processes you will resolve issues through Design and Programme Gateways from Pre KO to Production Surfacing handover during the Delivery Phase
- Assess compatibility of Design Intent against Programme Assumptions and Attribute Targets as described in the PCDS Design deliverables
- Manage results against the Design Feasibility Gateway deliverables (the Feasibility Checkpoint process)
- Responsible for the adherence of the design themes to legal requirements, programme assumptions, internal standards (e.g. Trustmark) and attribute requirements
- Set and lead the prioritisation of the teams activities and escalation routes / forums for design issue issue resolution
- Present issues and feasibility solutions and guiding the rest of the team
- Contact External customers to initiate and lead discussion around disconnects for a given vehicle(s)
- Prioritise issues and set the agenda for weekly Design Feasibility Meetings to discuss and resolve issues between internal and external customers
- Create weekly programme status', issues resolution planning and execution, leading the immediate team, gateway planning, preparation for and lead through escalation forums
- Undertake any other work as directed by their line manager in connection with their job as may be requested
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Broad understanding of bumper + Exterior Trim engineering, Exterior Lighting systems, Occupant & Pedestrian Safety, Closures, Manufacturing & Assembly, Instrument Panel, Console + Door Trim engineering
- People skills - a critical element of the role is the resolution of difficult feasibility issues therefore the ability to work in a cross functional team is key
- Strong communication skills with people of all levels and expertise; notably Design, Product Engineering, Vehicle and Commercial teams
- Demonstrates the ability to think creatively to solve feasibility issues
- Ability to think creatively to solve 3Dimensional (3D) technical/feasibility issues
- Apply business acumen and a customer driven mind-set to deliver designs
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Expert CAD drafting knowledge
- Management level knowledge of the Design Department and Process
- Proven ability to work to deadlines and prioritise your own workload
- Microsoft Office applications; notably Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Experience of working within the Design Studio environment
- CATIA V5 & TCE, CATIA V6 / ENOVIA
- Experience of PCDS / Agile engineering delivery process
- Role may be tailored for applicants with either Interior or Exterior Engineering experience
SO WHY US?
Bring all this to the home of premium innovation, and you’ll find the opportunities to further your career with a world-class team, a discounted car purchase and lease scheme for you and your family, membership of a competitive pension plan, private medical cover and performance related bonus scheme. As a manager, you’ll also be able to select one of our luxury premium vehicles to lease at a fraction of the cost. All this and more makes Jaguar Land Rover the perfect place to continue your journey.
This role may offer the opportunity for hybrid working where you can split your time between working from home and in the office. At Jaguar Land Rover, hybrid working is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement providing employees with more choice and flexibility around how, when and where they work, if suitable for their role. Further details can be discussed with the Hiring Manager at interview stage.
Please be aware that we may close this vacancy for applications before the stated deadline if we receive a high volume of interest. We strongly advise you to submit your application as early as possible.
Jaguar Land Rover is committed to equal opportunity for all.