Get Your Postgraduate Certificate In Education (PGCE)

Friday, March 5, 2021

A popular postgraduate academic qualification leading to QTS, is the PGCE. This is a one-year course focused on developing your teaching skills and underpinning your knowledge.

Available for primary and secondary, you are expected to have a good understanding of your age range and/or chosen subject before you start training.

A degree in a national curriculum subject is preferred but not essential.

In England and Wales, PGCEs are offered on all university-led courses and most school-led courses.

Therefore, to teach as a qualified teacher in England, you only need QTS, but you might find gaining a PGCE advantageous if you are considering teaching in Scotland or overseas.

Even Get a Postgraduate Loan

You can take out a postgraduate loan to support your tuition and living costs, and in some cases may be eligible for a non-repayable bursary.

There are three types of funding available for teacher training – depending on your circumstances, you could receive all three:

  • Tax-free bursary or scholarship.
  • Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan.
  • Extra financial support if you are a parent, have an adult dependent or a disability.

Not all PGCEs offer QTS, such as FE courses, and some are extremely competitive. Give yourself as much time as possible to perfect your application. To find out what’s available, search for a PGCE.

Postgraduate teacher training courses

Across England and Wales, you can find postgraduate teacher training courses led by schools or universities. The course you choose will depend on your subject, degree class and location. Whichever course you choose, your training will largely be the same.

In Scotland, all postgraduate teacher training courses are led by universities and will offer a Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE).

Most of the courses are fee funded, which could attract a tax-free bursary and if eligible the same funding as your undergraduate degree from Student Finance.

Alternatively, there is the possibility of earning a salary while you train in England or Wales.

You can find non-salaried and salaried postgraduate teacher training courses led by a school or university in England by using the Department for Education’s search tool.

For those training in Wales, you can search for courses at UCAS Teacher Training and in Scotland via the UCAS Train to teach in Scotland page.