Students evacuated from home as fuse box under stairs catches fire less than a mile from Bristol University blaze

0
1209

A house full of students had to be evacuated after a fire broke out under the stairs less than a mile from the blaze at the University of Bristol.

Firefighters were call to the three-storey building in Cotham just after 9pm on Saturday (January 6) where they found the house heavily smoke-logged.

A total of seven students were evacuated from the house as well as neighbouring houses after the fire which was caused by a fuse box under the stairs.

Advertisement

A spokesperson for Avon Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 9.07pm crews were called to a house fire in Elmgrove Road, Cotham to a fuse box on fire under the stairs.

“Upon arrival crews found a three storey building used as student accommodation heavily smoke logged. Additional resources were called which mad a total of four appliances at the scene. Seven students were evacuated from the property and also adjacent properties were evacuated.

“Crews worked alongside Western Power who were required to assess the electricity supply and will be required to dig up the road for repair and isolation.”

The cause of the fire is accidental, according to the fire service.

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here